Cabwaylingo State Forest is steeped in the history of the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930's and 1940's. The CCC camps were established to rebuild forested acres which in turn marks the beginnings of many areas that make up the West Virginia State Park system.
Extracted from the booklet "The C.C.C. Camps in West Virginia 1933-1942" by Milton Harr, Cabwaylingo had two camps that were instrumental in early development of Cabwaylingo State Forest and a part of the area history.
Located near the mouth of Sweetwater Branch of Twelvepole Creek in Wayne County on the present site of the youth camp in Cabwaylingo State Forest, the camp was occupied July 4, 1935 by CCC Company 3532, which remained until October 20, 1938. Construction of camp buildings, which were of the rigid type, was completed August 23, 1935.
Cabwaylingo State Forest, of approximately 7000 acres, had been purchase in February 1935. Camp S-61 was one of two CCC camps allocated for development work on the state forest.
Development projects included timber stand improvement, game refuge development, forest fire protection consisting of construction of a tire tower, telephone lines, ranger stations and truck trails. Later work included construction of thirteen vacation rental log cabins.
On October 200, 2938, Company 3532 was replaced by Company 1558V, a company of World War I veterans, which had been transferred from Camp Logan, P-58. This company remained there until April 11, 1939 when Camp Anthony Wayne was abandoned.
Camp superintendents service the camp included William Osborne, C.E. Barrett and C. Earl Mullins. Company commanders were Capt. John Enochs, Capt. R.E. Kemp and 1st Lt. Leland C. Tennant.
Originally designated Camp P-71 for work on private forest land, it was redesignated S-71 when the camp was assigned work on Cabwaylingo State Forest along with Camp Anthony Wayne, S-61.
Located just across the Wayne County line in Mingo County at the mouth of Poor Branch of Twelvepole Creek, the camp was occu0pied July 13, 1935 by CCC Compan7 3540. A September 12, 19135 report indicated that construction of the camp buildings was 90% complete and that the enrollees were quartered in the barracks. Work in the field had started August 8.
Work projects included fire control, forest stand improvement, recreation development, wild feeding (plots), surveys and stream developments.
The camp was not approved for the ninth period (Apr.-Aug. '37_ so it was abandoned April 5, 1937 and the camp buildings were salvaged for CCC use.
Capt. C.B. Denman and Capt. Franklin W. Patton were company commanders and Daniel K. Flynn and A.A. Price were camp superintendents. Emory N. Wriston who later was recognized as a pioneer in conversation in West Virginia was senior foreman.
Born in Hillsboro, WV, Pocahontas County and growing up in Greenbrier County, Mr. Harr graduated from WVU in 1939 – a member of the first graduating class of the School of Forestry. He worked as a student aide in Camp Lewis, Co. 3510 (SCS-75), Lewisburg during the summer of 1936 and as a squad foreman in Camp Rhododendron, Co. 3527 (S-75), Morgantown and Camp Bowers, Co. 2594 (S-62), Pickens during 1940 and 1941.
His career was with WVDNR until his retirement in 1981, interrupted only by his WWII military service as a photo interpreter in Naval Intelligence in the Pacific and attaining the rank of Lieutenant.
His extensive research of the Civilian Conservation Corps following retirement from West Virginia's state park system, culminated with publishing a book "The C.C.C. Camps in West Virginia 1933-1942" with assistance of his wife, Ida. The state park system is forever grateful for his research and documentation of CCC camp history and his dedication to West Virginia's state parks.